Simple Hunting Checklist

Before the Hunt

When joining SWO there are a few things which need to be in order before arriving. You will need to pack warm clothes for weather ranging from the upper 20*'s to the mid 60*'s, rain gear, waterproof hunting boots or knee boots, waders, FACE MASKS, gloves, headlamp or flashlight, locking gun case for the plane ride, soft gun case for trip to the field, a cooler for your birds (100qrts or bigger), roll of duct tape to tape up your cooler, your shotgun, shells depending on your package, and a camera with plenty of film. The gun case for the plane trip will need to be a hard, rigid case that locks. When packing you will want to put your gear inside a duffle bag, then put your bag inside your cooler which you will tape up after clearing airport security. When you finish your hunt, you will be able to put the ducks and geese you shot inside your cooler. You can then use your duffle bag to take your gear home. Most 100+qrt coolers will hold enough birds for two hunters.

Dog Policy

Here at SWO dogs are welcome; we just ask that you please give us a call so we can discuss our policy. Please contact Michael or Don.

Requirements for Crossing the Canada and U.S. Border

Getting into Canada is not difficult as long as all of the proper documents are filled out and you have all the paper work you need. Here at SWO we will assist you in every way possible to guide you in the right direction. 

Here are a few things you will need:

Government Issue ID

The following is acceptable:

  • Driver’s License
  • Passport
  • Government or state issued photo ID

(All minors must have proof of ID)


All hunters must have a government issued passport.

A passport is now required for travel between the U.S. and Canada. Here is a link that can help you get a passport or answer any questions you may have.
  Travel.State.Gov Passport Information

Gun Declaration

When you bring your gun into Canada you will need to fill out a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration (Form CAFC 909) that SWO will provide for you. When filling out this form be sure that all the information is accurate. Do not sign the form until instructed to by a custom's officer. There will be a fee of $25.00CAD (may be subject to change) that you will have to pay at the Customs Office. When completed this process gives you your permit to get your gun into the country. Click to Download Form CAFC 909

Background Checks?

If you have any prior convictions please contact S.W.O. and your nearest Canadian embassy or consulate to ensure entry into Canada.

The next items are not required but recommended.

Birth Certificate

To show proof of citizenship if your passport has not been issued yet.



The border will only allow you to bring in 200 rounds of ammunition per person. Most airlines will allow 11 LBS, but you will need to check with your local airlines.


You will need to get a health certificate from your vet within 10 days before your trip.

Permission Letter

If you are traveling with a minor, a notarized letter from the other parent stating they give permission for you to take the minor out of the country.
For help with booking flights and car rental, you can contact Jane Maier with Carlson Wagonlit Richert Travel at 888-284-6872 or e-mail Just let her know that you are hunting with us and she will take care of you.

Also, check with your airline for their requirements for travel to Canada.

If there are questions or you need any help please Contact Us.